Justice and Peace Netherlands is a human rights NGO based in The Hague that has been working to promote respect for human rights, in the Netherlands and internationally, for over 50 years. We believe that local change makers are key to achieving human rights and social justice for everyone, everywhere. Our work focuses on empowering citizens and professionals who stand up for justice and equality, freedom of expression, rights of refugees or a healthy environment.
We support human rights defenders at risk worldwide by offering them tailormade temporary relocation programmes in the growing network of Shelter Cities. We are also dedicated to developing the community sponsorship movement Samen Hier to connect and empower local citizens networks to welcome refugees in their midst to safely start a new life.
So far, more than 120 human rights defenders have stayed in one of the 12 Shelter Cities in the Netherlands. While in temporary relocation, defenders follow a personalized programme that includes a series of trainings organized by Justice and Peace. After their return, we continue supporting Shelter city alumni by connecting them to the larger Shelter City alumni community. To this end, we have set up an online alumni community.
We are looking for an intern for 32 hours a week to assist in organizing the trainings in The Hague and help keep the online Shelter City alumni community vibrant. Are you passionate about human rights issues? Would you like to connect and learn from inspiring and courageous human rights defenders? Are you a digital community builder or would you like to become one? Then this might be a great opportunity for you.
To support our training and human rights defender team we are looking for a:
Shelter City Training and Community Building Intern
32 hours, from September to December 2021 (4 months)
The Hague Trainings
- Support the training coordinator with training logistics before, during and after the trainings (booking venues, accommodation, food arrangements, etc.).
- Support the training coordinator in preparing training materials.
- Act as the main contact person for defenders concerning training matters.
Online Alumni Community
- Organize and identify opportunities for online trainings, webinars, masterclasses and other events for the Shelter City Alumni Community.
- Identify and publish opportunities, resources and other useful content on the alumni community platform.
- Creation of content (written and graphic), in collaboration with the training coordinator and communications team, to keep the community vibrant, creative and inspiring.
- Act as the main contact person for alumni to troubleshoot and help them use the platform.
- Other tasks relevant to the alumni community and Shelter City team.
- Strong affinity with justice and human rights issues.
- Recent graduate or current student at university or applied sciences level, in a discipline related to international human rights, media/communications or any other field relevant to this position.
- Demonstrable (creative) writing and designing skills.
- Excellent oral and written English. Spanish is an asset.
- Great communicator who possesses and displays a high level of sensitivity and knowledge with regards to cultural and other differences (e.g. sexual orientation and gender identity/expression, religion and belief).
- Ability to work in a team and independently.
- Result-oriented, takes initiative, flexible, professional, team player, open minded.