The Rainforest Alliance
At the Rainforest Alliance, we are building an alliance to create a better future for people and nature by making responsible business the new normal. To advance our mission, we focus on amplifying our impact on the ground through systemic transformation: change across the entire supply chain, change in the relationship between people and nature, and change within our own organization. We achieve this transformation by working in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders to create a stronger Alliance. Together, we amplify the voices of farmers and forest communities, improve livelihoods, protect biodiversity, and help people adapt to climate change in bold and effective ways. We embrace transparency because we believe that the best way to build trust across our alliance is through openness about our tactics, our impact, and partners on the ground. Together, we can achieve our vision of a world where people and nature thrive in harmony.
Rainforest Alliance’s Markets Innovation unit supports companies to establish and implement commitments on responsible sourcing, that lead to positive social and environmental impacts within priority supply chains. Under the direction of the Senior Officer Strategic Partnerships, you will support in updating and developing country risk profiles (Origin Issue Assessments – OIAs) for one of the world’s largest coffee brands. The objective of the OIAs is to provide a ‘helicopter view’ of the major priority sustainability (environmental and social) issues taking place in the countries this company sources from. Your research will be desktop, online questionnaire, and short interview based. You are curious by nature, have a strong affiliation with sustainability, enjoy doing research and are enthusiastic about authoring reports.
Conducts quantitative and qualitative research and collects risk data from various sources, including:
- Country reports (eg: reports published by FAO, ILO, IFC)
- Expert’s opinion both from Rainforest Alliance staff and externals
- Relevant reports from UN, governmental bodies, local and international NGOs, and research institutes (e.g. Danwatch and FinnWatch reports)
- Media (e.g. news coverage)
- Performs a score calculation following the already developed OIA methodology to examine the probability of occurrence of each risk issue; and
- Authors country specific executive summaries of the research findings in line with reporting requirements.
You must be registered as a Master student, preferably within the field of agriculture, international development, sustainability, economics, social sciences, ecology, natural resources management or a similar subject.
- Knowledge in data collection, quantitative and qualitative analysis, research methodologies and reporting
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English
- Strong organizational skills, self-motivated, resourceful.
- Remuneration: 300 €/month
The internship is based on 40h/week and for active students finishing their degree in the Netherlands only. The position will be based in Amsterdam and is open to applicants of all nationalities. The desirable starting date in August 1 until December 31, 2021.
The Rainforest Alliance encourages diversity and inclusion across the global organization. With this commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, disability and any other protected group.
Apply via the application button below with your resume and motivation letter.
If you have any questions about the job vacancy, please contact Kim Bajou on firstname.lastname@example.org.