The Coffee Quest works on a daily basis to source the best green ‘raw’ coffee from producing countries in Africa and Latin America. The coffee beans are packed in heavy jute bags and shipped per container to The Netherlands. From our warehouse we service a variety of European roasters, who roast & prepare the coffee beans for consumption. The quality behind each coffee is the cornerstone of our business.
In our office building, you find The Coffee Quest Lab space. This is where we perform quality control to prevent issue and correct advise to our customers. As intern you will work here on evaluating the coffee quality in all steps towards final presentation.
Following the yearly harvest calendar, we receive samples from our supplier network. Using our quality protocol each sample is examined to determine if the quality corresponds to our requirements. Our aim is to understand the issues producers face and link them to the physical and sensorial results in the coffee.
The Intern ‘Quality Assurance’ will focus on:
1. Roasting & preparing cuppings: Learn how to digitally profile using the Ikawa (one of the latest machines for sample roasting). Prepare cuppings according to the SCA protocol and support the Q-grader in the evaluation. Present all results internally to the account managers.
2. Sample administration: Registration of all incoming and outgoing green samples in Cropster Lab. Checking the physical state of each sample, going through the beans and measuring variable such as humidity levels. Get in touch with our suppliers to provide the corresponding feedback and complete missing information. On a daily basis we prepare sample packages to send out to customers. Work with each account manager to efficiently prepare the perfect package for them to roast & cup.
3. Sourcing & Sales assistance: Throughout the internship you will learn to structure relevant information for sourcing decisions, as well as providing the tools for our Account Managers. Keeping track of all incoming samples, learn and present your findings. Part of gathering the information includes reaching out to producers and exporters to complete all profiles.
4. Working together in a multidisciplinary and multicultural team: At The Coffee Quest you will work alongside a divers team, consisting out of French, Spanish and English speaking people. You will be located in our office in Amsterdam-Noord, but will also interact with our sister company in Colombia, and partners across our supply network. English is over main language. You will be assigned a supervisor inside the company, but will work together with more people, often on more than one project.
What can we offer you?
- Small team, nice colleagues and good coffee!
- Minimum of 5 months internship (40hrs weekly) at a Start-up that is growing quickly.
- Part of Amsterdam Roasters Coffee Collective, a new coffee hub where you interact daily with other coffee professionals.
- Not just office work, but participating in events and team ‘borrels’.
- Learn more about quality control, purchasing & sales of green coffee.
- Coffee Geek! It’s all about the details.
- Excellent command of the English language.
- Hands-on mentality, structured, precise and curious. Not afraid to do repetitive work.
- Experience as a roaster is a plus.
- Eligible to work in European Union
The Coffee Quest will provide a basic computer to handle operational and administrative tasks.
For this internship you will receive €400 monthly and travel reimbursement can be discussed.
How to apply?
Do you fit the profile and want to join our team?
Send you resumé and motivation letter via the application button below.